Open Access at CEU Press
Gold Open Access for Books and Chapters
Our open access books are available through the OAPEN and JSTOR platforms and are listed in the Directory of Open Access Books.
In order to achieve ‘Gold’ Open Access, we will require the payment of a Book Process Charge (BPC). This will typically be €8,000 (plus VAT, when applicable) for a book of up to 100,000 words. We are able to offer discounts to authors from Central and Eastern European institutions. Please contact Linda Kunos for more information.
If you would like to make a chapter of a book Open Access this can be done through the payment of a Chapter Processing Charge (CPC). This will be calculated on the percentage of the book that is made up by the chapter. I.e. if the chapter makes up 10% of the book, the charge would be €800 (plus VAT, when applicable) for the typical 100,000 word length book.
Green Open Access for books
We allow the pre-press version of the manuscript to be loaded in an institutional repository on the following basis:
- The ‘pre-press’ (i.e. original manuscript) can be uploaded at the author’s discretion 24 months after the publication of the CEU Press’s published version is available.
- There must be a link to CEU Press’s published version on the edition in the institutional repository.
- The CEU Press version cannot be uploaded.
- The institutional repository’s platform must be a non-commercial, non-profit platform.
For books the most popular license is a CC By-NC-ND license – which we recommend. This allows the work to be copied and shared but must carry attribution to the author. This restricts alteration in any way and does not allow the work to be put onto a commercial platform or printed and sold by anyone other than the original publisher. Please see the Creative Commons website for further information on how these licenses operate. If you wish a less restrictive license or your research funder requires a different one then please discuss with Linda Kunos.
1. Will my book be available in print?
2. Inclusion of third-party material
Ideally we would like to use existing CC licensed material or where permission to do so can be achieved. If you must include copyright material then there are a number of ways in which this can be handled. For example, it can be stated in the book that the material cannot be reused without permission. This is a fast-changing area of publishing and we suggest you contact your editor with specific queries.
3. If I have a contract with you already can I move to Open Access if I have the funds?
Yes, as long as we know and are able to issue an invoice one month before publication.