“What really emerged is similar to an ‘atavistic’ media system that is ‘colonized’ by political parties—a phenomenon common for many post-communist societies.”
Assessing the international media assistance in the Balkans.
“International media assistance to the Western Balkan countries failed to reduce the overreliance of local media on potentially compromising subsidies.”
“Institutions that were reformed more radically and rapidly due to external assistance witnessed a fiercer backlash once they were integrated into the local legal and institutional context.”
“A successful element is the integration of local media supervisory authorities into European networks of peer institutions.”
“The emerging system of late modern politics in developed countries can be described with the term mediatized populist democracy.”
From a monograph on the “collective speculation on the popular,” the guiding force of today’s politics.
“Common language has grasped mass media as the fourth estate. The neopopular media interpreters—PR agents, bloggers, journalists, marketers, pollsters, consultants, scholars, everymen—make part of the fifth estate and will be one of the core concepts to grasp collective speculation in mediatized democracy.”
Zygmunt Bauman: “Csigó sets the commonsensical idea of the mediatization of contemporary politics in an entirely new perspective.”
Books from the backlist, focusing on the media:
- Comparative Media Systems explores and compares the extremely diverse paths that media transformation followed across eastern Europe in the past two decades;
- Media Freedom and Pluralism covers the broader geographic span of Europe in discussing regulation of ownership, governance and content;
- Media, Nationalism and European Identities discusses the sensitive mechanisms of interaction between the media and the shaping of various community identities.
- A monograph on the party colonisation of the media in the post-communist countries;
- The memoir of one of the leading authorities in media and communications studies.
Other CEU titles with media relevance:
- Historically, on the impact of Radio Free Europe and Radio Liberty on east Europe, and countermeasures of the communist regimes;
- How – with the help of the media – Tito’s birthplace was turned into a tourist destination in an innovative volume on the study of tourism in a totalitarian state;
- On the role that the media played in the controversial case of the anti-Semitism of an orthodox bishop;
- The responsibility of mass communication in the treatment of the turbulent events in Ukrainian history during the Second World War;
- The reflection of the former regimes in media, cinema, official and popular culture in the countries of east Europe;
- The relationship between nationalism and the globalized media on the example of Georgia and the Basque country (or rather Sakartvelo and Euskadi);
- The search of national identity in Belarus, analyzing the position of the media in this peculiar process.