Serbian Orthodox Fundamentals
This book is a comprehensive exposition of the interaction of a national (the Serbian people) and a religiou (the Orthodox Christian faith) content, in the formation of a distinctive national identity and a mode of being. Its interdisciplinary approach, drawing on sociology, social anthropology, theology, political theory, Balkan historiography, and Serbian folklore, is deployed to provide a powerful and original analysis of how Serbian Orthodoxy has resulted in the sacralisation of the Serbian nation by framing the parameters of its existence. Addresses the following questions: what 'makes' a Serb? Are meaningful assumptions possible by introducing Serbian Orthodoxy as the primal point of reference? Why does religion appear to have an especially strong appeal?
1. Nation, Religion and Fundamentalism
2. Orthodoxy and Serbian National Identity
3. Homo-Femina Serbicus
4. The Pursuit of "Secular" Salvation
5. The Pursuit of "Sacrificial" Salvation
6. "To Love Your Neighbour as Yourself"
7. The Balkan Orthodox Commonwealth